History and Mission
In 1954, the SDSM&T Endowment Association was chartered as a not-for-profit South Dakota corporation and was designated as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization by the Internal Revenue Service.
In 1980, the SDSM&T Foundation evolved from the Endowment Association. The Foundation Office opened and efforts were initiated to solicit funds for SDSM&T.
In 1994, the Arch was adopted as the official logo of the Foundation.
In 2000, the SDSM&T Foundation celebrated the successful completion of its first-ever capital campaign, VISION 2000, raising over $20 million for scholarships, faculty support, and department support. This campaign was followed by another, BUILDING THE DREAM, in 2012 resulting in an additional $50 million.
In 2015, the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology became known as SD Mines and the Foundation began doing business as SD Mines Foundation.
The Foundation exists to develop and manage private resources to support the mission and priorities of SD Mines, to support the needs of students, faculty and staff and to contribute to institutional excellence.