IRA Charitable Rollovers

Legislation passed in January of 2016 permanently allowing IRA rollovers of up to $100,000 per taxpayer per year to charities retroactively to the prior tax year. These rollovers to charity will not be subject to federal income tax as they would have been without this law.

To take advantage of this law, you must be over age 70½ and the transfer must come directly from your IRA custodian to a qualified charity, like the SD Mines Foundation. All you need to do to initiate your gift is to contact your IRA custodian and let them know you want to make a charitable gift from your IRA. Thank you for your support and for considering an IRA gift to us.

IRA custodians may send your gift to the SD Mines Foundation at 306 E. Saint Joseph Street, Ste 200, Rapid City, South Dakota 57701. Our federal tax ID number is 46-6011771.

  • Individuals must be at least 70 1/2 years old
  • Income tax liability on charitable distributions of up to $100,000 per year is avoided
  • Charitable distributions count toward your required minimum distribution (RMD)
  • Distributions must be to a qualified public charity (SD Mines Foundation qualifies)
  • Distribution process starts with individuals contacting their IRA custodian

    For more information, please contact Leah Mahoney, Director of Planned Giving, SD Mines Foundation, (800) 211-7591.

    Request More Information

The Mines Annual Fund helps to achieve the University's mission. Gifts to the Mines Annual Fund will support the efforts of the Alumni Association, the Foundation and the Hardrock Club to provide exceptional program support. A gift to the Mines Annual Fund is an expression of your support to your alma mater and will make an immediate impact on programs and student success. Leave your legacy today!

Donate Now